Probus has reached out to a number of area Non-Profit organizations who share parts of our mission and vision. We collaborate to assist in their programs by sending volunteers as may be needed, and we attend some of their community cultural programs impacting the I.D.D. community. Examples include the following:
1) Support for New Horizon’s Village, a residential community for physically impaired citizens providing affordable and wheelchair accessible housing, along with assistive services to allow independent living, and transportation to medical appointments, school, and shopping destinations, and opportunities for cultural enrichment.
2) Connecticut Special Olympics requested Probus volunteers to assist at some of their outdoor bicycle competitions and also at a track and field event. Our work consisted of monitoring, coaching and arranging for the safety of participants from the I.D.D. community as well as cheering and providing encouragement.
3) Probus has partnered with C.C.S.U. and The University of Hartford to bring Group Home and Respite-Care residents to varsity Basketball Games, and with the Hartford Yard Goats to bring youngsters to see Minor League Baseball at Dunkin Donuts Stadium.
4) Probus partnered with the Dave Clark Foundation to assist at their “Three-D Disability, Dream and Do“ baseball Clinics in 2019 and 2020 for youngsters from all over Connecticut, with on field instruction by all the members of the Hartford Yard Goats baseball team. Covid-concerns paused the clinics last summer.
5) Probus partnered with Camp Courant to entertain at their summer camp in Farmington to provide a Barbeque and Picnic for area group home residents from 13 different towns for a full day of food, fun, and music. Many arrived in wheelchairs. A large group attended from the American School for the Deaf.
6) Probus is partnering with the Glastonbury Martin Luther King Initiative to present a Community Conversation May 9th, 2022 by ZOOM, entitled “Discrimination based upon Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities” with a distinguished panel of speakers.
7) Probus Information Booth at Glastonbury Church Fair. Thank you to Probus Greater Hartford board member Leslie Ohta for inviting Probus to set up an information booth at her church, The Congregational Church of South Glastonbury, as part of their Church Mission Fair on Sunday, November 13th! We joined other diverse area non-profit organizations who participated in this wonderful event. Probus President Charlie Dobrow and board member Mark Goldberg staffed the booth and engaged church members in conversation regarding Probus’ mission and activities to enhance the lives of intellectually and developmentally disabled individuals.
Visitors to the booth viewed our new Probus promotional video, took Probus brochures and other marketing materials on display, and signed up to receive additional information regarding membership details. The fair was capped off by an ice cream social!
If you know of other community gatherings, outreach/P.R. opportunities at venues or speaking engagements where we can “tell the Probus story” please contact Charlie Dobrow.