Our non-profit values the importance of collaboration with other organizations serving the disabled and marginalized communities. For many years, we have supported the good work being done at Horizons, Inc. in South Windham, CT and we have helped to provide camperships and stimulating opportunities for intellectually and developmentally disabled young people at this world class facility.
Probus also supports New Horizons Village in Unionville, CT. This barrier-free housing community for adults with physical disabilities allows for self-directed living.
The Greater Hartford Chapter of Probus has an established relationship with Central Connecticut State University’s Athletic Department and School of Special Education. We sponsor area group homes to attend CCSU college basketball games for fun outings! Probus also provides scholarships to students studying to become Special Education teachers. In the coming months, we also plan to engage with the new CCSU John Lewis Institute For Social Justice.
Other area groups which Probus has interacted with to make a positive impact on the lives of developmentally disabled citizens include, but are not limited to:
- DDS/group homes in Greater Hartford
- Special Olympics Connecticut
- The American School For The Deaf
- Camp Courant
- The Hartford Foundation For Public Giving
- The University of Hartford
- The Glastonbury MLK Community Initiative
- The IDD (Intellectually Developmentally Disabled) Caucus
- The New Haven & Bridgeport Chapters of Probus
- The Gengras Center and many local schools
- The Hartford Yard Goats Minor League Baseball team
At the end of the day, we exist to enhance the lives of intellectually and developmentally disabled individuals who live with family members, on their own or in a group home setting. We serve the approximately 29 towns in and around Greater Hartford.